Saturday, January 12, 2008

Simmo: A lesson learned

Danny Simpson was a picture of delight after his superb cameo role in United's thrashing of Newcastle.


The 21-year-old defender's last outing saw him substituted at half-time against Everton after a below-par display, but he bounced back in style with a fine showing in the final half hour.

"[After the Everton game] I spoke with the players and the manager said: 'Well, you've got to learn from things like that,' Simpson told MUTV.

"It didn't go too well and it's a test of character. Some people fold. You can hide or get on with it and prove next time that you're a United player and you can do well for the team."

Simpson twice came close to opening his goalscoring account with decent shots, only to be foiled by Shay Given and a deflection respectively.

"I feel on top of the world at the moment, I'm just a bit gutted I didn't score," he admitted. "I was a bit disappointed with the first one, I thought it had gone in but I turned round and he'd got a touch.

"The second one, I just tried to get a clean strike on it but it was just a bit unlucky. How many chances do I need? Wayne said that every time I play he seems to be setting me up, but if I keep making the runs when I'm playing, surely it'll come soon."

United's devastating second half display took them back to the top of the Premier League after Arsenal's shock draw with Birmingham, and Simpson admits that no team could cope with United on such form.

"Newcastle came here and it's not an easy game, even though they're not doing too well at the minute," he said. "Whereas Arsenal, at home to Birmingham, everyone expected them to win.

"They lost points there, then we just had to go out and do our job and the second half was magnificent. Playing like that, we'd beat any team in Europe."

Danny also found time to express his sympathy for former colleague Alan Smith, who was sent off by referee Rob Styles in injury time for dissent.

"It's the end of the game," Simpson reasoned. "He used to play for the club, he's getting beaten 6-0, it's the last minute. You've got to understand he's not going to be happy, but Alan was just a bit frustrated."

No comments: